Transcripts & Summaries
CCJP hosts seminars through the year on the third Sunday, in February, May, July/August, October/November, when it invites key note speakers and experts to give an address on key human rights and social justice issues. All are welcome to attend.
These interesting addresses are free to download. A great resource for students, activists or those who want to update their knowledge about key Social Justice issues.
List of Transcripts:
Transcripts are a detailed translation of the address.
1. COMPASSION OVER CRUELTY - Responding to people seeking safety
Speaker: Ms Frances Rush, CEO Asylum Seeker Centre
Download an edited transcript of Ms Rush's address and the audience Q&A on 15 October 2017
2. OUR CLIMATE FUTURE - Key Concerns & Signs of Hope
Speaker: Professor Tim Flannery, AO
Download an edited transcript of Professor Flannery's address on 16 July 2017
2a. Question and Answer session with Professor Tim Flannery
Download the audience Q&A following Professor Flannery's address.
3. Real News or Fake News: The Future of Journalism
Speaker: Dr Margaret Van Heekeren, University of Sydney
Download an edited transcript of Dr Van Heekeren's address on 21 May 2017
4. Constitutional Recognition, Treaty and the Next Steps
Speaker: Ms. Linda Burney MP.
Download an edited transcript of Ms. Burney's address on 19 February 2017
5. The Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) - What does it mean for us?
Speaker: Dr. Patricia Ranald - AFTINET
Download an edited transcript of Dr. Ranald's revealing address from June 2015.
5a. The TPP audience questions and answers.
Download the audience Q&A from Dr. Ranald's address.
6. The effects of the budget on the poor.
Speaker: Ben Spies - Butcher
Download an edited transcript of Ben's engaging presentation from Sept 2014.
7. What does the Budget really mean for the ABC?
Speaker: Mal Hewitt - Friends of the ABC, July 2014. Download an edited transcript of Mal's address.
8. How can Civil Society be Strengthend?
Speaker: Sr. Maribeth Larkin, Sydney Alliance & One LA Organiser, November 2013. Download an edited transcript of Sr. Maribeth's address.
9. Health: a quick check-up - The health issues needing to be addressed during this election year.
Speaker: Jack de Groot, Mission Director for St Vincent’s Health Care Australia, August 2013. Download transcript notes from Jack's illuminating presentation.
10. The Intervention and Constitutional Change: What does this really mean for Reconciliation?
Speaker: Jeff McMullen AOM, June 2013. Download an edited transcript of Jeff's passionate address.
11. The Politics of Skilled/Labour Migration
Speaker: Dr. Chris Wright, April 2013. Download an edited transcript of Dr. Chris Wright's address
12. Could you live on $35 a day? Federal Government cuts welfare payments to single parents.
Speaker: Samantha Seymour, Single Parent Action Group, March 2013. Download an edited transcript of Samantha's presentation.
13. 2013 Election- Why bother? The contours of political disengagement: causes and possible solutions
Speaker: Dr. Tim Batten, February 2013. Download an edited transcript of Tim's address.
14. 'What are we going to lose? Climate Change and Biodiversity'
Speaker: Prof. Lesley Hughes, November 2012. Download an edited transcript of Lesley's presentation.
15. Refugees ... Appealing to our better angels
Speaker: John Menadue AO, October 2012. Download a full transcript of John's seminar.
16. 'The Marines are coming. Should we be worried?'
Speakers: Denis Doherty and Hannah Middleton - from the Australian Anti-Bases Campaign Coalition September 2012. Download a full transcript of Denis and Hannah's seminar.
17. The Unseen Victims of War: the ongoing toxic legacy of the war in Iraq
Speaker: Donna Mulhearn, August 2012. Download a full transcript of Donna's seminar.
18. Can Fairness and Justice Survive in a Market Economy?
Speaker: Robert Fitzgerald, Commissioner, Australian Government Productivity Commission, July 2012. Download a full transcript of Robert's seminar.
19. Constitutional Recognition of Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders
Speaker: Mr Mick Gooda, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner, Feburary 2012. Download a full transcript of Mick's seminar.
List of Summaries:
Summaries give a short overview of the address.
1. The Moral Bankruptcy of Australia's Asylum Seeker Policies.
Speaker: Paul Power, CEO Refugee COuncil of Australia, March 2014. Download a copy of Paul's ppresentation.
2. The Intervention and Constitutional Change: What does this really mean for Reconciliation?
Speaker: Jeff McMullen AOM, June 2013. Download a summary of Jeff's passionate address.
3. The Politics of Skilled/Labour Migration
Speaker: Dr. Chris Wright, April 2013. Download a 2-page summary of Dr. Chris Wright's address.
4. Freedom, Fairness and the Media
Speaker: Prof Julian Disney, part-time Professor & Director of the Social Justice Project at UNSW, June 2012. Download a summary of Julian's seminar.
5. Building A Sustainable Economy In Australia
Speaker: Miriam Lyons, Executive Director, Centre for Policy Development, May 2012. Download a summary of Miriam's seminar.
6. What's the Current Trajectory of Reform?
Speaker: Dr Michael Pusey, Professor of Sociology at UNSW & Macquarie University Centre for Research on Social Inclusion, March 2012. Download a summary of Michael's seminar.